SGE is the new SEO trend in 2024. Pull out this string of words, and it spells our ‘Search generative experience’.
You can expect users to fall in love with this trend, because its less technology driven, highly focused on their experience, and very sharable in the moment.
In fact, Nikki Lam is a senior director at NP digital. Nikki has been evaluating the online presence of global brands such as Samsung, Levis and American airlines for over 10 years. She was recently quoted as calling Search Generative Experience (SGE) as “Google’s featured snippet on steroids.”
What is SGE in a nutshell?
- In early 2024, a user will be able to ask Google anything, and get a snapshot of their search as per usual. They will now be able to snip, bubble wrap, and share this info with friends at an instant.
- SGE intends on pushing out more comprehensive responses using generative AI, and embed rich and relevant links to digest. It will also stay open for follow up questions from the user, as part of their search experience
- The shift in this search experience will be highly conversational. The aim here is to introduce ease and reduce the divide between human and machine interaction (Think of how comfortable you’re becoming with virtual assistants like Alexa these days)
What can Digital marketers take out from this?
- We all love new things, but Digital marketers should be wary about this new transformative experience. Users may start to ‘click less links for re-direction to websites’, especially if the SGE result is comprehensive, and already includes high quality ‘playable videos’, that satisfy their questions in that moment.
- As is with any new trend, there will be tools to analyse how your brand shows up in an ‘AI snapshot’. These tools can empower you to tweak your digital strategies to reach users and followers online. Look out for them, they will test and keep your brand sleek and relevant for any AI shot in future.
- In closing, this is the year when SEO masters and Content creators, will need to partner like never before. Brands are going to have to outdo AI generated content, by weaving in first hand stories or experiences, to stay ahead of the efficiency and the intelligence of a machine.
Brands will still need to write from a point of expertise and authority, and then use storytelling to engender human trust. If the above power couple is able to double down on creating content that’s worth talking about – your brand connection scores should start stat to sparkle and earn you huge respect on an off the digital playing field.
This article was written by Charlotte Nsubuga-Mukasa